Advertisement

Stroke Educator Insights- AAC devices provide the logic of thoughts, organized in images, 6/04/19.

Stroke Educator Insights- AAC devices provide the logic of thoughts, organized in images, 6/04/19. There are new understandings of how AAC (augmentative & alternative communication) devices provide a crucial communication link between people with aphasia (PWA) who can “see” but can’t “say.”

It appears that AAC devices can assist with the “saying” part of people with significant and complex communication disorders by virtue of “seeing” a series of images that provide much more information about the needs that can’t be expressed.

When I was “young” with my new aphasia world, and wanted a meal at a restaurant, I couldn’t say what I wanted to order. But usually I was with a friend or a family member, and they could order for me. But there were times when I was alone and had trouble trying to tell the server what I wanted. But typically, between the two of us, I could point at pictures on the wall, or in the menu and the server would indicate agreement.

I also had my first version of "AAC devices" (not really AAC but thinking along that line), a Leap Frog toy that provided the upper and lower case of the alphabet with lights that helped you draw a letter. If you did it correctly, the screen would light up with a big “Hooray!” and a visual award.

I didn’t realize until now that the high-tech AAC devices of today provide very similar functions (not really, just considering the act of assisting in one way or another) that low-tech “devices” of body language (pointing, nodding, thumbs up, and smiling--if nothing else works!), provide the additional communication function in the absence of expressing them.

AAC devices provide the logic of thoughts, organized in images of “this or that” sets of needs, which drill down to the ultimate need: I want a burger (instead of fish); soda (instead of milk); and fries (instead of dreaded vegetables!).

Plasticity,Stroke,Aphasia,Neuroplasticity,Word-finding,Context,Awareness,Enriched Environment,Effort,Practice,Feedback,Stroke Educator,Persistence,Lifelong Learning,AAC Devices,

Post a Comment

0 Comments